COUGARS Scientific Research & Publications
Cougars also specialise in doing research under our Cougars' President, Dr. Bala. His training workouts are specifically and intricately designed from research studies that he has successfully accomplished. Cougars under him will train at a safe intensity, incorporating proper running techniques through running drills, and having adequate rest for recovery. All these are taken into consideration during his training workouts so that Cougars athletes train at their optimum, achieve fast timings, and simultaneously prevent injuries.
Cougars Research is constantly on-going to improve the standards of competitive running, develop the fitness in our Cougars Cubs and athletes, grooming them into all-rounded athletes. Furthermore, to promote athletics in Singapore and to bring glory to the nation.
You can get these peer reviewed full journal papers online. They are published in reputed international journals.
You may also refer to the following link(s) for some of the online publications:
1. Do Compression Tights Help with Performance?
2. Effects of Foam Rolling. Does it help?
3. Soy Milk May Help With Performance (JEPOnline April 2021)
Govindasamy Balasekaran, Pan Shi Yu, Ng Yew Cheo. Effects of Soy Milk Ingestion on Anaerobic Performance and Physiological measures. (American Society of Exercise Physiologists, Journal of Exercise Physiology (JEPOnline)).
4. Know the individual energy requirements for proper training and monitoring for successful performance
Govindasamy Balasekaran, Loh Mun Keong, Viknesh Veeramuthu, Yong Tze Woon, Visvasuresh Victor Govindaswamy, and Ng Yew Cheo. Energy System Contribution during 1500M Running in Untrained and Endurance-Trained Asian Male College Students
(The Asian Journal of Kinesiology)
5. Interesting findings: Large Exercise induced weight loss has metabolic protective mechanism against cardiovascular risk factors when one stops exercise for awhile. Translation sports medicine paper for Cougars' latest research
6. Have frequent exercise breaks during studies! Just like Brain Breaks® as it may have positive effect on your physical activity behaviour. Read more here: Using Brain-Breaks®as a Technology Tool to Increase Attitude towards Physical Activity among Students in Singapore. Brain Sciences.
7. Read on mental health during COVID-19 lockdown among 11 countries including Singapore. Mental Health among Adults during the COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown: A Cross-Sectional Multi-Country Comparison. IJERPH.
8. Physical activity levels during circuit breaker or lockdown in Singapore. How was it compared to other countries' physical activity levels during their lockdown? Read more... Physical Activity among Adults Residing in 11 Countries during the COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown. IJERPH
9. Training with science.... the intelligent way. 3 books published for coaches., teachers and exercise practitioners to understand physiology of training. Buy, read and become an expert.
10. A normalized rate of perceived exertion at ventilatory breakpoint for different exercise modalities and production of exercise intensity with self-regulation for Singapore children. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2022 Mar 22. doi: 10.23736/S0022-4707.22.13411-0.
Students too can be taught about exercise intensity regulation as a safety tool which may prevent cardiovascular incidents or serious/mild injuries. Some fatal incidents or serious injuries could be triggered due to inappropriate exercise intensity. Inappropriate intensity or frequent inappropriate intensity may trigger underlying conditions or unknown congenital conditions inherent to the individual leading to a fatal incident. Read this study where children's OMNI Rate of Perceived (RPE) was used during two different exercise modalities of cycling and running. Both yielded same results at Ventilatory Breakpoint (Vpt). Vpt is an intensity which may be appropriate for physiological adaptations. Adults too can use the Adult OMNI Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) for intensity regulation but educating the young on exercise intensity regulation is far more important as the children and youths may be in tune with appropriate intensity when they get older. Be safe when you exercise and prevent incidents which may bring injuries or serious fatalities. Some may advocate intensity using heart rate (HR) and say it may be fine but remember that HR is affected by cardiac drift, caffeine, stress etc which may overestimate or underestimate exercise intensity and situate it as a higher or lower intensity load and may be inappropriate for that specific exercise or sports. This paper shows that even children and youths can reproduce and self-regulate exercise intensity accurately with RPE. Be safe using RPE and read the paper. IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHAT TOOL TO USE TO SELF-REGULATE EXERCISE INTENSITY. Choose wisely. Happy exercising safely.
11. Special Issue "Brain Function and Health, Sports, and Exercise". Read and enjoy. Local chapter from Singapore. Using Brain-Breaks® as a Technology Tool to Increase Attitude towards Physical Activity among Students in Singapore
13. Two linked papers to predict World class, Elite, Sub-Elite and Collegiate running performances. Prediction may even help in training physiologically for not only in running events but for any sport which involves running.
13.1 Determination, measurement, and validation of maximal aerobic speed (Part I)
13.2 Running Energy Reserve Index (RERI) as a new model for assessment and prediction of world, elite, sub-elite, and collegiate running performances (Part II)
Fitness Index on Physical Fitness
Maximal Oxygen Consumption
Children OMNI RPE Scale
Exercise-Induced Weight Loss
OMNI RPE @ Ventilatory Breakpoint
Physical Education Story
OMNI RPE: Cycling
OMNI RPE: Primary Schools
COUGARS CD/ Video Publications
Optimal Exercise Intensity for Children
CD Publication: Running Drills for Better Running Economy Level 1
CD Publication: Running Drills for Better Running Economy Level 2
* Cougars CD publications are only distributed to our Cougar members.